Sponsored by Nedbank Foundation
23 people from the following participating schools:
- Centre of Science and Technology (COSAT)
- Macassar Secondary
- Zola Business School
- Intlanganiso High School
- Matthew Goniwe Memorial High School
- Sizimisele Secondary School
- Umthawelanga Primary School
- Solomon Qatyana Primary School
SLP 10 team course at Joie de Vivre near Wellington, Western Cape
Post course Impact Evaluation Awareness of Self and Others
- I feel: affirmed, listened to, lack of judgement, safe , appreciated and respected
- I feel I can do my job better
- I understand different people’s emotions and I respect that
- The personality profile touched me emotionally
Knowledge of self and others
- I know who I am now it will be easy to work with people and understand them, to listen to them in whatever they bring to me and be able to work with them. I changed the way I saw things. I want more advice from different people. I love my job and my responsibilities
- I understand myself and why people don’t run after me if I run with a project. I reflect on myself and understand others better
- I know myself better and understand how to manage people differently. I am in transformation from old ways
- I understand now the reactions and the resistances that staff members are displaying- they are reacting to change . Change is a process and people react differently to it. I understand myself better and resistance to change I am aware of my strengths and weaknesses. I am uniquely me because of my life experiences
- I know myself better and understand why I behave differently towards a challenge
- I know who I am and how to be an effective leader. I know my strengths and challenges. I was taken on a path through education and my personal life. I received ideas about change and becoming an effective leader
- I learnt that to be a good learner I require more than” who I think I am”. I realised a sense of belonging in terms of knowing what I am good at and how to develop on areas that require development
- I am aware that there are so many more dynamics in human relations than what appears on the surface. I realise that one’s actions and behaviour might be key to a positive or negative end product. I am undergoing metamorphosis. I am already a changed and transformed person
Differences and Leadership
- I know what kind of a leader I am and my leadership qualities. I shifted from not knowing what impact I had on my colleagues in relation to decision making
- People have different personalities and differences are important. As everyone is different everyone can contribute something different to the school leadership and to the school
- I have improved my listening skills and there is better understanding in my team now
- I will listen to people, Know myself and how to be a good leaders, plan whatever I am doing, show respect to my colleagues and do things differently
- I will listen more, get clarity from my team and not be judgemental
- As a leader I will be more patient, a good listener and manage change differently
- As a leader I will listen to others, motivate others and allow room for staff participation
- I learnt not to be stuck where I am currently but to strive to be a better leader who is really to listen to my subordinates.
- I will not lead in isolation. I will lead as a team
- I view team work as a better way to achieve goals
- I now give educators that I work with a space to raise questions and concerns about reaching our goals
- Now that I understand differences in personalities I will be accommodating without compromising the goals.
Coaching Statements – September 2011
Awareness and understanding
- My Insights profile helped me reflect on myself as a person, and how to relate to my family. I came to accept more…it opened up many avenues in my mind, to understand not only me, but others…it changed me really.
- In the past I was stuck in my green energy. Now I am more aware; more is possible. The tool I have is the mouth I have. But you don’t talk, if you don’t listen first.
- I used to be autocratic accepting no excuses. Now I listen and try to approach people more professionally. I am learning to control my emotions and understand different characters to deal with them differently. I am shifting from impatience to patience. This course has resulted in our meetings being less formal, more sharing of ideas amongst the Deputies and principal. I want everyone involved and respecting ideas. I ask, “What do you think?” more often. I want to build on what is good in the school.
- My awareness has shifted me from being rigid to more flexible in my leadership. I am delegating more. I do not naturally praise and I have difficulty building relationships and friendships. I am noticing the insights colour behaviours in myself and others.