The SCM programme is aimed at District officials and Circuit Managers in particular. It seeks to develop District officials to be reflective practitioners performing their mentoring and managing roles in ways that strengthen teaching and learning in schools. The programme runs for 10-12 months (depending on commencement date) and includes a combination of study blocks, coaching, faculty supervision, peer supervision and academic assignments. This is offered at NQF level 7 and upon successful completion, students receive a certificate from the University of Stellenbosch.
The expected Outcomes of the intervention
CMs are reflective practitioners performing their mentoring and managing roles in ways that strengthen teaching and learning in schools.
The Objectives of the intervention
- To develop CMs who continuously reflect on self and others in order to improve their practice and deepen their professional identities
- To develop the skills, competencies and dispositions of CMs so that they can provide meaningful support to principals and schools
The Objectives of the academic programme
By the end of the programme participants will be able to:
- Make the evolution of their own professional development journey’s explicit – particularly the evolution of their instructional leadership reflective practice meta-models;
- Employ relevant coaching and mentoring assessment instruments to stimulate their self-development;
- Perform as reflective practitioners against the standards set for this programme and in its alignment with other related and comparative professional standards;
- Deploy a coaching and mentoring meta-model and impart the essentials of critical reflection to guide principals to:
- To develop their own explicit instructional leadership reflective practice meta-models to impact school outcomes and learner results positively;
- Undertake conscious and purposeful actions to create new norms of behaviour that build genuine trust, confidence and collaboration amongst the college of teachers under their leadership or within their jurisdictions, that nurtures the process of teaching and learning;
- Continuously reflect (self and with others) to continuously improve their professional practice and deepen their professional identities.